Learn how how to weave the colors just like birds do – making layers with chalk pastels. The results are gorgeous!
What is included in this course?
- A great variety of video art lessons to complement your tea time.
- Step-by-step instructions
- Techniques encourage both new artists and challenge more advanced ones
- Independent learning for older students
- Glossary of art techniques
- You ARE an Artist Facebook group – share photos of art work, ask questions and encourage each other!
Begin with any art lesson that appeals to you. Each of these tutorials is designed for students of all ages.
General Suggestions for Tea Time Chalk Art
In addition to a starter set of chalk pastels, there are very few supplies we suggest you have on hand. For paper – regular copy or printer paper works very well. Construction paper is also wonderful for the layering and blending of colors. It is our favorite. Dampened paper towels or baby wipes make for easy clean up and help in cleaning off hands between colors.
Feel free to stop, rewind and enjoy each video art tutorial at your own pace. Enjoy each one over and over as you practice with chalk pastels and learn more and grow as an artist.
Featuring you! You ARE an Artist
So, paint your tea time paintings and be sure to share with us! Simply tag @chalkpastelart on social media, use the #YouAREanArtist hashtag, or share a photo in the You ARE an Artist group on Facebook.
Favorite Books and Tea Time Topics to Enjoy! *Scroll down past this list for more of Nana’s studio quality video art lessons
- Animals of Africa – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Aslan – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Baseball and Bat – Hodgepodge
- Blue Jay – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Blueberries for Sal – Hodgepodge
- Cat in the Hat acrylic – Hodgepodge
- Cat in the Hat in Chalk Pastels
- Chalk Pastels and Children’s Books – Hodgepodge
- Charlie Brown Christmas – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Charlie Brown Thanksgiving – Hodgepodge
- Charlie Brown Thanksgiving video – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Charlotte’s Web
- Cranberry Thanksgiving Pie by the Fire – Hodgepodge
- Daisy – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Dump Truck – Hodgepodge
- Dr. Seuss Cat in the Hat – Hodgepodge
- Fall Nature Walk – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Football – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Garden Spider – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Green Ember – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Green Ember (How to Draw Ember Falls) – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Henry David Thoreau – Hodgepodge
- Harold and the Purple Crayon – Hodgepodge
- Harry Potter Firebolt Broom – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Harry Potter Great Hall – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Harry Potter Illustrated video series – Hodgepodge
- Harry Potter Lightning Scar – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Harry Potter Snitch – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Harry Potter Sorting Hat – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Harry Potter Wand – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- How to Train Your Dragon – Hodgepodge
- House for Hermit Crab – Hodgepodge
- Jonah and the Whale – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Lab-Coated Scientist – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Lentil – Hodgepodge
- Little Engine That Could – Hodgepodge
- Madeline – Hodgepodge
- Madeline – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Man on the Moon – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel – Hodgepodge
- Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Mr. Incredible – You ARE An Artist YouTube
- My Blue Boat – Hodgepodge
- Narnia – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Narnia – Aslan – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Owl in Tree – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Pete the Cat – Hodgepodge
- Pete the Cat – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Peter Pan – Hodgepodge
- Royal Wedding Carriage – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Seuss Truffula Trees – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Snowflake Bentley – Hodgepodge
- Tangled – Hodgepodge
- Toothless (How to Train Your Dragon) – Hodgepodge
- Mr. Whiskers – Hodgepodge
- Stopping By the Woods on a Snowy Evening – Hodgepodge
- Sunflowers –YouTube
- Veggie Tales Josh and the Big Wall – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Very Hungry Caterpillar – Hodgepodge
- Very Lonely Firefly – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Waterfall (Multnomah Falls) – You ARE an Artist YouTube
- Winnie the Pooh – You ARE an Artist YouTube
No medieval times art course would be complete without a castle! You will need the following: plain white copy/printer paper and these pastel colors: brown, tan or light yellow, green…
What joy to go on a nature walk and journal all that you see! Chalk pastel nature journaling is a way to capture those adventures. You can take a little…
Paint the Christmas Star in chalk pastels!
Paint what you would imagine the very first day might look like with chalk pastels.
Have you noticed how beautiful frost is?
Calling artists of all ages! In 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue. Paint a wonderful tall ship and an epic voyage — in celebration of Columbus Day.
A colorful painting of this famous American Landmark. The Golden Gate Bridge has been declared “One of the Wonders of the Modern World” by the American Society of Civil Engineers, and is recognizable all over the world as an American symbol!
This great white shark is smiling!
Hummingbirds flit about the backyard feeder. Capture this art in action!
Paint the gorgeous colors of the northern lights. You might even want to add some black spruce trees to your painting!
Paint the famous Nutcracker character in chalk pastels!
Paint a pond scene from your nature walk!
Tree – notice the changing seasons and learn how to smudge some leaves onto the top of your tree. Gather yellow construction paper or what you have on hand. Also…
A pumpkin is definitely a fall favorite. Have fun with this art lesson!
Do you have your bathing suit on yet? Well, it is time to go down to the beach and build a sand castle! And, instead of a sand bucket and…
Paint a beautiful medieval shield in chalk pastels!
A snail on the mossy forest floor and a mushroom too!
What a fun winter snowman to paint! Will you add a scarf to yours?
Backyard camping or camping away from home – let’s paint it!
Sun – aren’t you artists ready for some sunshine? Fun with circles and lines. Gather green construction paper (or another color). Orange, yellow and blue chalk pastels.
Ice cream – make it your favorite flavor!
Paint Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. giving his famous speech in Washington, D.C.
You can make a beautiful apple!
This is a very easy and fun celebratory chalk pastel for Easter! Supplies needed: Yellow construction paper or white printer paper and a green chalk pastel. Optional: yellow chalk pastel…
Do you love a juicy watermelon too? Let’s paint one!